Dark spiced fire-baked gingerbread
70 g unsalted butter, melted
170g plain flour
70g muscovado sugar
140g black treacle
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp mixed spice
4 tbsp. spiced rum (optional)
- In a large bowl combine, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, ginger, nutmeg and mixed spice.
- Add eggs, melted butter, treacle and spiced rum and mix until smooth.
- Butter and flour a baking tray, enamel works well.
- Prepare the barbecue for indirect heat, approx. 180°C.
- Place the tray over indirect heat and bake with the lid on for about 20-25 minutes.
- Once baked through take the cake off and let it cool down a bit.
- Serve with cream or a salted caramel sauce
Tip: To add some extra flavour place a cinnamon stick on your charcoal allowing the cake to absorb the aroma
Garden cook pieces pictured for these recipes